Gilt or Gilt-edge security

A bond issued by the UK Government is known as a Gilt.  A Gilt can be purchased by investors and will pay a regular fixed income expressed as a percentage of the capital value.  The term ‘Gilt Edge’ came from the gold ‘gilding’ around the edges of the original paper certificates.

Back to